Competency-Based Personalized Learning 60hours
This 60-hour course is designed to critically examine various Personalized Learning models with an emphasis on competency-based learning. All participants will explore the 4 pillars of PL: student agency, learner profiles, learning pathways, and flexible learning environments.
By the end of this course you will have a basic understanding of the 4 pillars of PL, and you will have tried 4 PL activities in your classroom. You will create a learning portfolio with artifacts from your activities and will share them out in our last session.
This continuing education course cost is $299.
3 graduate credits are available through the College of Charleston for an additional $150.
Group discount codes are available. Please contact Eileen directly to discuss this.
Image source: SCDE Office of Personalized Learning Logo
Registration closes on January 27th. Don't miss it.
Course Dates: Feb. 4 - May 12, 2020
Claim Your Spot!
Only 25 available spots for this cohort.
- Initial Assignments
- LMS tour
The Why Behind Competency-Based PL
- What is it? What is it NOT?
- How are different systems similar? How are they different?
- What is the SCDE model?
- How do I cover all the standards and their sub-parts?
- Setting and Monitoring Classroom Goals
- Creating Tools for Measuring Progress
- Integrating Voice and Choice into the Teaching and Learning Process
- Q & A
- Tech Tips
- What to include
- How to build relationships
- How to continue the learner profile and make it actionable
- Building positive climate in your room
- Tech Tips
- Traditional Ed vs. CBE
- Time as the variable
- Instructional Strategies
- The power of the pre-test (Digital & Analog)
- Breaking down pre-test data
- Clustering & tagging questions
- Students breaking down strengths and weaknesses
- Tech Tips: GradeCam
- Why create Learning Targets?
- How to dissect a standard
- The power of student tracking
- Variety of trackers
- Use within Blended Learning
- Tech Tips
- Why is a flexible environment important?
- Is it just about the furniture?
- Developing multiple paths for different levels if knowledge
- Blended Learning
- What, Why, and How?
- TechTips: Screencastify, EdPuzzle, Hyperdocs
Eileen is a Google Certified Trainer for Edu and has a Master’s in Educational Technology with 30 years experience in public education spanning kindergarten through graduate level classes. Eileen worked with the @GoogleForEdu Writing Team to collaborate on Google’s Applied Digital Skills curriculum development. Previously, she served an Innovation and Digital Learning Coach in Charleston County School District, SC, and has been a presenter for local and state conferences including SC ED Tech and EdTechTeam Summits. You can connect with Eileen on Twitter at @EFPTech and her company at @cultivatelearn.
Presently, Eileen is the president and CEO of Cultivating the Learning, a company created by teachers for teachers to increase innovation in the classroom using technology to increase personalized learning, blended learning, problem-based learning, and authentic learning. She is open to new training, coaching, and consulting opportunities.